Monday, October 17, 2011

Rainy Days on a Sunny Afternoon

This morning while doing my normal Monday busy work, which consists of sifting through emails and preparing for my work week, I kept hearing the old Michael W. Smith song, "Healing Rains". Let me be honest for a second, I never really liked the song very much. I felt it was a bit cheesy and everytime it would pop into my mind I would push it back out. While going through my emails I saw a prophesy bulletin and it kept talking about rain. On Facebook someone shared a scripture in Leviticus about God giving rain in the right season. (26:4) With all the references to rain I finally succumbed and went to You Tube to see what the song, "Healing Rains" was about.

"Healing Rain, is coming down. Is coming nearer, to this old town. Rich and poor, the weak and strong, it is bringing mercy; it won't be long. Healing rain is coming down, it is coming closer to the lost and found. Tears of joy and tears of shame are washed forever in Jesus name. Healing rain it comes with fire, so let it fall and take us higher. Healing rain, I am not afraid to be washed in heavens rain. Lift your heads, let us return to the mercy seat where time began. In your eyes I see the pain, come soak this dry heart with healing rains. And only you, the Son of Man, can take the leper and let him stand. So lift your hands, they can be held by someone greater, The Great I am.." The chorus then repeats...

As I listened tears began to pour down my cheeks and my heart softened to the voice of Jesus speaking. " I will send the right rain, in the right season. You must be ready to receive what I give, when I give it."

I began to search scripture and websites about the significance of rain in scripture. I am pretty sure even though we here in Springfield are getting ready to receive some heavy rains tonight, that He was not talking about literal rains.

Rain is a sign of a couple of things in the bible. First it is a sign of blessing, and His grace. Second, it is a sign of the Holy Spirit. In Israel, they have a different planting season than we do here. In the States we get the ground ready in the Spring and plant the seed. The seed then matures over Summer and is harvested in the Fall with the land laying dormant over the Winter. In Israel, the planting starts in the Fall, the seed germinates and grows over the winter months, and then harvest starts in spring and the ripening process happens all summer.

In Mid-October God would send the first rains to soften the ground from the parching of the Summer so when the seed was laid it would be able to germinate and root. The Summers are hot and useful for maturing and drying their fruit crops, but not for new growth. The Winter brings the time for pruning of the vines and the Spring would provide later rain to sustain the crops until final harvest.

Do you realize it is Mid-October? That we have all come through a hot and dry Summer season! The previous years crops have been harvested, and prepared for the nourishment of the next year. It is time to allow our lives and hearts to soften to the new "seeds" that God wants to drop in your heart. Some of you have become so bitter because you have felt abandoned and fruitless. God is telling us that it is a new season, and it is time to soften our hearts to the new crop for the coming year. So whether it is sickness, or pain, addiction, or affliction, brokeness, or disappointment, will you lay it down today and ask God to bring you Healing Rains to soften your dry heart?

So today I sit here while it is nice and sunny and allow God to bring those Mid-October rains to soften this dry heart and allow His seed to germinate in my life to sustain me for another year. God I am ready for receive all that you have...

No comments:

Post a Comment