Monday, October 24, 2011

Answer Me When I Call

That is the title to Psalm 4 in my bible... "Answer me when I call". How many times have I said that to my husband, my children, or even my mom when I try and call them. Here I am needing to tell them something or I need some help from them and for whatever reason they don't answer. As I leave a message all I can think is, "what are they doing that they can't answer their phone!" Be honest we have all had this happen to us, right?

"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!"

Here is King David telling God to answer him, because when he is distressed he goes to God for comfort. If you read the Psalms then you can see David telling God like it is, so to speak. He speaks to God honestly and doesn't hold much back. He shows his anger, his disappointment, his joy, his discouragement, his fear, and does it with boldness.

"O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?"

Today I can feel the discouragement in lives of many of my friends; some are Christians and some are not. Life is hard, whether your a Christian or not, the bible even warns us that it will be. Life can be hard for many reasons, but everyone endures hardships, the questions is where do you go?

"But know that the Lord has 'set apart' the godly for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him"

David knew that even when he wasn't perfect, (remember he cheated with another man's wife then had him killed) God still loved him, and heard him. Do you know that?

"Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts, on your beds, and be silent. "

David is reminding himself that it is okay to be angry about what he's going through, but staying angry leads to bitterness. Scripture says that God was angry, so don't you think God can understand that you feel angry?It is what we do with that anger that determines where we go from here. David tells us to get on our beds and be silent. Most of us when we are angry we let the whole word know!

"Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord."

Want to get over feeling discouraged or distressed, or angry? Then give! The bible is clear that you get what you give, we Christian's call it "reaping what you sow". When your in that dark place, do you reach out and offer what you have to others? Do you put your trust in the Lord? Maybe you have prayed a prayer, or you took a walk to an altar a long time ago, but is your life different today because of it?

"Ther are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!" You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound."

I have had times of plenty and times of want, but my outward circumstances shouldn't dictate my inner strength. You can every single pleasure that this world offers and it will never compare with the joy of a relationship with Jesus.

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety"

So maybe God has you here, right here where you are to show you that you can never really be happy without Him. You can never really lie down and sleep in peace and safety without him. The great thing about God is when you call him up, he always answers! He is always there on the other end waiting for you to come to him and share your heart, honest, and open. You don't need fancy words, you just need a couple of very simple ones...

"I need you Jesus"

Today, I took up the fight for many in my life who were struggling and my prayer is that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be heard, and He will make you dwell in safety. I love that God always "Answers me when I call"...

No comments:

Post a Comment