Monday, October 3, 2011

Laying in Your Made Bed

There is a little known fact about me: I simply cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If I forgot to make the bed earlier in the day I will actually make it before I go to bed. I will make all the sheets tight, pull the covers tight, and even put the pillows in the correct spot. Then, and only then, will I climb in and drift off to sleep.

Have you ever heard the expression, "You made your bed, now you have to lie in it"? Most of us have and when we hear it we most obviously think of it in a negative way. You did something wrong and now you have to live with the consequences. We teach it to our little children when they break a rule, or disobey and have to suffer our discipline.

There are many beds I have made and are laying in right now. I am laying in the bed of a 19 year marriage to Skipp because I made that bed. I am laying in the bed of motherhood because I made that bed. I am laying in the bed of home ownership because I made that bed. Are those beds bad? No! They are consequences of the choices I make, or the investments I make.

There are beds in your life right now that you can make and it will allow you enjoy the "made bed" of  your future. There are people that you can invest in, there are projects you can invest in, but the most important "bed" of your life is your relationship with Jesus. That is a "bed" that you can lay in your whole life and enjoy the consequences of a life of liberty and freedom.

Today you will make choices that will affect your future comfort or discomfort. Every choice, every decision, every action will affect your furture. So, will you make your bed and lie in it? For me, I am enjoying the made beds of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment