Monday, January 2, 2012

Baby Steps (Part 2)

The awkward silence was deafening... Here we all sat ready to eat dinner and there was a new face at the table. I am not sure what I expected but this was not it. Our son so nervous he could hardly stop shaking, and me so confused about a girl who was quiet. This is not what I had expected! The conversation did eventually pick up when we took her home and met her parents. They were not near as shy as this frighten little girl was... All I could think was I know her.

Rewind about 22 years and that was me at the table meeting my boyfriends parents. They politely asked about my parents and about my interests. I remember thinking how nicely they were dressed and how they offered me dessert, a treat I thought reserved for rich people. They were proper and from the East side of town, I was a gabby 14 year old from the West side of town. We did have one thing in common though, we both loved Skipp!

So as I sat there tonight all I could think about was how much this lovely young woman must adore my son to be brave enough to come to dinner to meet his parents. I am sitting here overwhelmed that it is over and yet just beginning all at the same time. I am not ready to marry him off and recognize that there could be several of these first dates with Trevor and a girl but what I recognized in that moment was that anyone Trevor loved, I would love. Just that simple...

Love is a choice and a verb, it is finding what that person needs and giving it to them. This girl needs Jesus, and the security that only His love can bring. I know how desperately I need Jesus then and now, so how can I not love what I see. This year God has challenged Skipp and I to pray simply what we see, and I see a boy who for the first time is thinking about someone else. So, we will walk ever so gently on this road and keep Jesus in the middle.

Baby steps, baby steps to adulthood... Walking slowly away from adolescence and closer to being the man that God made. How could baby steps not make me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment