Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Where Am I? How Did I Get Here?

"What are you doing here Elijah?' This is how God opens a conversation with Prophet Elijah after he has just run for his life. One minute he is on top of Mt. Carmel calling out the prophet of Baal and the people for idol worship. He asks God to consume a great sacrifice, which God does in a miraculous way, and then with a boldness that is nothing less than shocking he starts praying for rain after a three year drought. WOW! Talk about a mountain top experience! Elijah asked God to do these awesome wonders and God found it pleasing to answer him by a consuming fire and bringing the rains. Then he runs faster than a chariot back down the mountain after it rains. Now, come on; that is some really cool stuff!

Then on his race down the mountain he comes upon Jezebel, the King's wife, who threatens to kill him. In a moment he changes courses and runs straight into a valley and asks to die. So after this huge display of God's power he gets freaked out and panics. After an angel revives him he is left alone and then God asks him this question, "What are you doing here Elijah."

Skipp, my husband, preached a sermon a couple of weeks ago and used this story at the end of his sermon. As I sat there I heard God ask me the same question, "What are you doing here Becky?" As if I could see clearly for the first time I realized that I was not at all where I was supposed to be, and how did I get here?
That question was not one of anger, or even surprise, but because He had a better place for me to be.

Now let me say this has nothing to do with a physical place, it wasn't like God was asking me why are you at Life Fellowship Church. I knew he meant, "why are you spiritually in this place of complacency?" How did I get there yet once again? I think it was too much busyness and not enough investment of my relationship with God. I was letting my life live me...

Intimacy happens over time, diving deeper and deeper into your relationship. When one person quits coming around, quits talking, and lets everything else take priority; how do you feel? It was like I was texting God for the things I needed but never went to him for what I really needed... more Jesus!

I need him every day! Every single moment of every single day I need our relationship. I need the Word of God, I need the Spirit of God, and he wants me. "What are you doing here?" Is not a question of condemnation but of invitation. It has been since February since I blogged, and I allowed life to get in the way of living. No more! I am taking God up on his invitation to intimacy and going to spend more time with him. So if you are wondering where you are and how you got there, then take God up on his invitation too!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff...more rewarding affirmation for what I need...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete